Family Science Fest - Saturday, August 23, 2014
Included with paid admission to the Museum of Flight
Space Elevator Family Science Fest
Location: Museum of Flight
Date: Saturday, August 23, 2014
Time: 10 AM to 5 PM
Cost: Included with Museum of Flight admission, no registration is required for these events (except for teams competing in the Robotics Challenge)
Planned activities include:
- Robo Climb - a competition for middle- and high-school level robotics teams to build/program an autonomous, tether-climbing robot
- The Robo Climb competition challenges students to engineer their own autonomous robotic climber capable of transporting “satellites” up a 22-foot long “space elevator ribbon.” Prizes will be awarded to the top-performing teams and for innovative robot design. Grab your friends, form a team and enter this exciting competition. This is a great summer project – educational and fun.
- Registrations must be received no later than August 9th.
- Robo Climb rules and registration information
- Here is the Satellite Scale Drawing for 2014.
- Space Elevator 101 and 201presentations (tentative times
- 12:00 PM – 12:40 PM SE 101 - An Introduction to the Space Elevator
- 12:40 PM – 1:00 PM SE 101 Q&A
- 3:00 PM – 3:40 PM SE 201 - Space Elevator Design Challenges and Usage Scenarios
- 3:40 PM – 4:00 PM SE 201 Q&A
- Museum of Flight's "Robot Garage" - kids can explore the basic engineering skills to build a successful extra-terrestrial rover
- "Drive a Bot" - an activity for kids to test their robot driving skills
- LEGO Build Zone (tentative) - kids can build their own space-faring creations
- Robot Alley - see robots from local robotics teams/clubs on display
- Additional activities are being planned!