Robo Climb 2015 and the Family Science Fest - Saturday, August 22, 2015
Included with paid admission to the Museum of Flight
The Space Elevator Conference presents the fifth annual Family Science Fest on Saturday, August 22. This day long, family-friendly event has something for everyone and you’ll have the entire museum to explore, top to bottom. Local companies, non-profit educational and service organizations and schools will offer hands-on activities, displays and demonstrations with the focus on STEM (science, technology, engineering and math). Roam the museum’s Side Gallery and watch teams compete in RoboClimb, a special robotics competition; visit Robot Alley and test your robot driving skills; learn about the Space Elevator and its importance to mankind at Space Elevator 101 and 201 presentations. This event is included in the Museum of Flight admission price.
Space Elevator Family Science Fest
Location: Museum of Flight
Date: Saturday, August 22, 2015
Time: 10 AM to 5 PM
Cost: Included with Museum of Flight admission, no registration is required for these events (except for teams competing in the Robotics Challenge)
Planned activities include:
- Robo Climb - a competition for middle- and high-school level robotics teams to build/program an autonomous, tether-climbing robot. Prizes will be awarded to the top-performing teams and for innovative robot design.
- Robo Climb rules and registration information NEW RULES
- Here is the Satellite Scale Drawing for 2015 along with photos of the arena overview, base, and top.
- Space Elevator 101 and 201 presentations - Murdock Theatre, Great Gallery - (Tentative Times)
- 12:00 PM – 12:40 PM SE 101 - "An Introduction to the Space Elevator"
- 12:40 PM – 1:00 PM SE 101 Q&A
- 1:30 PM - 2:00 PM FIRST Robotics - "Bringing it Home - How FIRST Robotics is Helping to Build Tomorrow's Workforce"
- 2:15 PM - 2:45 PM MATE Underwater Robotics - "Exploring Inner Space with Remotely Operated Vehicles"
- 3:00 PM – 3:40 PM SE 201 - "Space Elevator Design Challenges and Usage Scenarios"
- 3:40 PM – 4:00 PM SE 201 Q&A
- See - underwater robots in action
- Visit - Robot Alley and drive a bot or build a Sumo Bot
- Explore - fun activities with Rubik's Cube
- Learn - to code at "Coding with Kids" activity
- Watch - Project Spark's demo of their free game-making tool from Microsoft
- Engineer - LEGO creations at Play-Well TEK's booth
- Visit STEM Central - educational resources center
- plus youth rocketry programs, 4H tech programs, scale modelers in action and more